Saturday, February 16, 2013

Steve Sabol, A Tribute in Picture and Sound


Still thinking all day every day about the Steve Sabol Tribute on Tuesday, February 12th at the Kimmel Center in Philadelphia.
It was a powerful presentation. Lots of images from Steve's childhood, college football years, his bodybuilding (Mr. Philadelphia), his early cameraman days....tons of football footage
(me, football clueless by choice).

The entire NFL Films crews, employees, former employees, anyone that Steve had a personal relationship with are the fortunate people that received invitations.

My goodness, Ed Sabol took tons of photographs and movies of his future star son. Thankfully, so we could relive his life to the full 120 piece Philadelphia Orchestra.
The emotional power of the film was a pure love letter to Steve by his wife Penny. She worked on the tribute since right after he passed away.  Anyone exposed to the tribute film would end up loving Steve Sabol even more, if that's possible.

I knew Steve Sabol was fabulous as a human being and friend but I had no idea how much I did not know about Steve. The tribute filled in all the blanks about Steve's life. I didn't meet him until my 40's. Victor grew up on same street in Philadelphia and they played ball together.
It was always pure fun with lots of laughs whenever we got together and an uplifting experience to be in Steve and Penny's presence, the two artists who were soul mates.
RIP dear Steve.That tribute will live on in my heart.

No comments: